Published on April 4th, 2014 | by Selma van Oostwaard0
Doubting a Ban…
Amidst growing calls for the start of negotiations on a treaty banning all nuclear weapons, several states have expressed doubts about the feasibility and merits of such a legally binding instrument. This discussion paper unpacks some of these arguments and provides counterarguments.
This discussion paper unpacks some of the doubts states reying on nuclear deterrence have expressed with regard to a ban treaty. Some have argued that such a treaty:
– Is the wrong step at the wrong time
– Is meaningless without participation of all nuclear armed states
– Is a distraction from existing disarmament mechanisms and forums
– Is incompatible with NATO agreements
– Is undermining the security of NATO member states
Doubting a Ban… is distributed and presented at the 2014 NPT PrepCom and forms the basis for round table discussions in European capitals.
Download the report here: Doubting a Ban…